Welcome To The Purple Daisy Teaching Resources

How To Use Bingo Games To Teach Colors To Preschool Children

Friday, September 17, 2021


It's that time of year again! I just welcomed 21 new students into my classroom a few weeks ago. We spend our first weeks working on rules, routines, and just getting to know each other. Once we start settling into a routine it's time for me to get an idea of what these new students already know. One of my favorite ways to learn and review colors is to use Color Bingo games. 



Using Color Themed Bingo Games To Teach Colors

Every year I will have students who come to my classroom knowing their colors already, and I will also have students who can't name a single color. It is important to have games and activities that both sets of children can enjoy playing. That's why I created my Color Bingo games. By holding up the picture, saying the color, and then having the children search for the picture on their game board, I am reinforcing the name of the color and letting them search for it to connect the name to the color. You can hold up the picture and ask the students to name the color for you. The more we play these games the more students begin to learn colors and connect the name to the color.

I currently have two Color Bingo games that I use with my students. I will talk more about them below.



Dinosaur Color Bingo

My students are learning about Dinosaurs for the next two weeks! Dinosaurs are so much fun to learn about, so I wanted to have a connecting color activity for them. I created Dinosaur Color Bingo for the very beginning of the school year. 

This game has only 9 spaces on the card making it an easy bingo game for students who may have never played bingo before. There are 11 colors included, so not every card will have every color. 




Show your students the dinosaur card that you draw from your pile and have them name the color out loud. Then have them find the color on their card and place a bingo chip or other type of marker on that spot. Continue until someone gets three across or three down.



Color Bingo

Once your students get the hang of how to play bingo, you may want to continue playing color bingo games with a slightly harder game. Color Bingo has 16 spaces and includes 22 pictures. That is 2 pictures for each color. 

Color Bingo is great to use for practice throughout the year. Sometimes I just pull it out to make sure we are not forgetting what we learned earlier in the year. Sometimes we just play it because it's fun!


Are you ready to play Bingo? Grab these Bingo games and many more by going to my TPT Store HERE.






Comments